Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir
Srinagar is one that place which was known as "Venice of the East" or the "Kashmiri Venice". Srinagar is the largest city of Jammu & Kashmir and also a summer capital of Jammu & Kashmir. It is situated at Kashmir Valley on the banks of Jhelum River (a tributary of the Indus, and Dal and Anchar lakes). This place is mainly popular for gardens, waterfronts, and houseboats or traditional Kashmiri handicrafts and dried fruits. Dal lake is situated in this city which is known for its houseboats. Srinagar also has some Mughal gardens which laid by the Mughal emperors, in which popular gardens is Chashma Shahi, Pari Mahal, Nishant Bagh, Shalimar Bagh, and Naseem Bagh. Every year Srinagar is tourist center of lots of visitors, who comes here and explore Srinagar in their way.
Places to Visit In Srinagar
- Dal Lake: - Dal Lake is known as the jewel of Srinagar, it is a vast sheet of water which reflects the carved wooden balconies of the houseboats and the misty peaks of Pir Panjal mountains. If you visit them in the early morning, then you see the floating flower and vegetable market.
- Mughal Gardens: - Srinagar is a home of some most beautiful Mughal gardens of India, from which more of them is located in Srinagar.
- Shalimar Bagh: - Shalimar Bagh or Shalimar Garden is situated in Srinagar and linked through the channel to the northeast of Dal Lake. This Garden is known with some other names i.e. Shalimar Garden, Shalimar Bagh, Farah Baksh and Faiz Baksh.
- Nishant Bagh: - Nishant Bagh is also a very popular Mughal garden of Srinagar, it is also a second largest Mughal Garden in Kashmir Valley. It is located on the bank of Dal Lake. Meaning of Dal Lake in Urdu is Garden of Joy, Garden of Gladness, and Garden of Delight.
- Char Chinar: - Char Chinar is also known as Char Chinari, Ropa Lank or Rupa Lank. It is an island in Dal Lake. It is popular for beautiful Chinar trees. This Chinar Tree is found in every village in Kashmir.
- Shikara Ride: - Shikara Boat ride is very popular in the whole world. Here the people of Shikara community don't step their legs on land, this why you found everything on tiny shops in houseboats in Dal Lake, like, shops, doctors, vegetable merchant, etc. And visitors enjoy that because this type of unique thing is found only in Dal Lake, Srinagar.
- Indira Gandhi Tulip Garden: - Indira Gandhi Tulip Garden is a tulip garden which is situated in Srinagar and it is largest tulip garden in Asia, which is spread over an area of 30 hectares. It is situated on the foothills of Zabarwan Range with an overview of Dal Lake.
- Shankaracharya Temple: - Shankaracharya Temple is also known as Jyesteshwara temple or Pas-Pahar by Buddhists. It is situated on top of Shankaracharya Hill on the Zabarwan Mountain in Srinagar, Kashmir. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Wular Lake: - Wular Lake is Asia's largest lake of fresh water. In Wular Lake, boating, water sports, and water skiing were launched by the government of India Tourism by collaboration with Kerala Tourism and J & K Tourism.
- Yusmarg: - Yusmarg is also known as Yousmarg is a hill station, which is situated in western part of Kashmir Valley. This hill station is situated about 47 km south of Srinagar. Here you found a frozen lake which is known as Sang-e-Safed valley. This lake is covered with ice during the summer session.
- Hazratbal Shrine: - Hazratbal Shrine is a Muslim shrine which is situated in Hazratbal, Srinagar. Here you found a relic - Moi-e-Muqqadas. It is believed by many Muslims of Kashmir that, it is a hair of Muhammad. Meaning of this Urdu word Hazratbal means respected place.
- Baramulla: - Baramulla is a city of Baramulla district is in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is situated in the Bank of Jhelum River downstream from Srinagar. Here you found an eco park which is a major tourist attraction in Srinagar. This place is developed by J&K Tourism Development Corporation.
- Jamia Masjid: - Jamia Masjid is a mosque in Srinagar. It is situated at Nowhatta in the middle of the Old City. This Mosque was established by Sultan Sikandar Shah Kashmiri Shahmiri in 1394 AD. under the order of Mir Mohammad Hamadani.
- Tarsar Marsar Trek: - Tarsar Marsar Trek is situated in Kashmir, which gives you very different from trekking anywhere else in our country. It is most popular trekking place in India.
- Nehru Garden: - It is also known as Jawaharlal Nehru Botanical Garden, which is a botanical garden is situated in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India and established in 1969 in the memory of India's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Challi Point: - Challi point is one of the popular places in Srinagar. Here you found some small stalls which are dotted in the area selling seek kebabs and corn.
- Chashm E Shahi: - It is also known as Chashme Shahi or Chashma I Shahi. It is also one of the Mughal gardens which are established in 1632 Ad by Shah Jahan. This garden is located in the Zabarwan Range, near Raj Bhawan Dal Lake in Srinagar.
- Pari Mahal: - Pari Mahal is also known as The Angels' Abode. It is a seven terraced garden which is situated at the top of Zabarwan mountain range over-looking city of Srinagar and south-west of Dal Lake. It is also an example of Islamic architecture.
- Nagin Lake: - This lake is situated in Srinagar and also considered as a part of Dal Lake. It is connected with Khushal Sar and Gil Sar lakes via a channel known as Nallah Amir Khan.
- Chinar Park: - Chinar Park is also one of the popular tourist attraction in Srinagar. Here you found housing tree island, old Chinar trees, flowers, musical fountains, open air theater for cultural programs, etc.
- Khanqah Of Shah Hamdan: - It is a Khanqah mosque, which is known as Shah Hamdan Masjid which is located on the right bank of Jhelum river. This place is popular for beautiful and intricate wood carving architecture.
- Dachigam National Park: - Dachigam National Park is situated in Srinagar, and it is spread on the area of 141 km2. The name of the park stands for ten villages and established in the memory of ten villages. This place is established for clean drinking water supply for the city of Srinagar. In 1981, this park is upgraded a National Park.
- Sri Pratap Singh Museum: - Sri Pratap Singh Museum is known for a grand collection of handicrafts and archaeological artifacts from across the state.
- Anantnag: - Anantnag is also known as Islamabad. It is one of the main tourist destination of Kashmir. Visitors come to this place for breath taking beauty.
Things to do in Srinagar
- Take a Shikara ride: - Shikara Ride is the world most popular ride in Srinagar. Explore more about Dal Lake by taking a Shikara Ride.
- Spend a night in a houseboat: - You found houseboats in Dal Lake, so it is the best option for you that spend a night at houseboats. It is an awesome experience for you.
- Gondola Cable car ride: - Gulmarg Gondola is world's second highest operating cable car. So take an eye view from the top by riding that cable car in Gulmarg.
- Ride the Rapid in Lidder River: - Enjoy white water river rafting in Lidder river. It is amazing and adventures tour for you.
- Paragliding: - For paragliding, you have to visit Astanmarg, it is a beautiful hamlet on the outskirt of Srinagar. It is first paragliding experience camp in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Taste some Kashmiri Food: - You found a variety of Kashmiri food in Srinagar, so enjoy various Kashmiri food taste.
- Mughal Garden: - Main Mughal gardens of India is situated in Srinagar, so you visit there and experience the architecture of Mughal architecture.
- Shopping on Retail Shops: - Who not love shopping, so why you waiting for, just visit retails shops of Srinagar and enjoy shopping.
- Heritage Walk: - Take a heritage walk on the streets of Srinagar and explore more.
- Trekking: - Trekking is that thing which loved by all adventure lovers. So in Srinagar, you found various trekking area with the beauty of nature, so enjoy that.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: - Enjoy skiing and snowboarding in Srinagar, it is an awesome experience and also popular things to do in Srinagar for adventure lovers.