Top 10 Popular Churches of India
The Christian religion is one of the major religions of India. It comes under the third largest religion in India. So today we share some details of India’s top 10 best and most popular churches of India. So for those peoples who want to visit the church and searching for one of the best church in India, so for that, we will provide details regarding that here.
1. Sé Cathedral at Old Goa: - Sé Catedral de Santa Catarina is also known as Se Cathedral. This church is situated in Goa. It is a cathedral of the Latin Rite Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Goa and Damanand the seat of the Patriarch of the East Indies. It is located in Old Goa, India.
2. Parumala Church In Kerala: - Its full name is St. Peter’s or St. Paul’s Church. The name of this church is the name of a great saint Saint Gregorios Geevarghese, which is also known with the name of Parumala Thirumeni. This church is tomb church of Saint Gregorios Geevarghese.
3. Basilica of Born Jesus in Goa: - This church is also known with the name of Borea Jezuchi Bajilika. This church is situated in Goa, India and it is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This church holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier. This church is considered as one of the best examples of baroque architecture in India.
4. Malayatoor Church: - This church is also known with some other names like St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Malayattoor. This is one of the oldest churches in India. This church is located in Malayatoor Village of Kerala.
5. Velankanni Church: - This church is one of the biggest Catholic pilgrimage centres of the country. Every year lots of pilgrims folks visit to the shrine from all over the world and abroad. This church is devoted to Our Lady of Good Health and it is also known as Lourdes of the East.
6. Santa Cruz Basilica: - Santa Cruz Basilica is one of the oldest churches in India. It is situated in Fort Kochi and one of the eight Basilicas in Kerala. It is also one of the heritage edifices of Kerala. It is the centre of historic significance, endowed with architectural and artistic grandeur and colours of the gothic style.
7. Vallarpadam Church: - Vallarpadam Church is a centre of pilgrimage. Every year lots of People visit Vallarpadam Church to seek the blessing of Mary (mother of Jesus), which popularly known as Vallarpadathamma. Union Government of India declares this church as a major pilgrim centre.
8. St. Francis Church: - St. Francis Church is situated in Fort Kochi, and it was originally established in 1503, and it is also an oldest European Church in India. Best attraction in this church is body of European explorer Vasco Da Gama, which is originally buried in this Church. Vasco Da Gama, died in Kochi in 1524 when he was on his third tour visit to India.
9. Kadamattom Church: - Kadamattom church is one of the ancient churches in India. This church is situated in Kolenchery, Moovattupuzha, Kerala, India. The name of this church comes after the name of a priest Kadamattathu Kattanar. He is also very popular for his supernatural powers.
10. The Reis Magos Church In Goa: - This church is located on the banks of the Mandovi river in Goa. This place is very popular because it is one of that three places where the unique Feast of the Three Wise Men is held.